I actually made this wonderfulness a couple nights ago, but I’ve been eating it through the week. It’s so easy and so yummy! I got the chance to share it with two of my best friends last night and they agreed! James even tried to lick the bowl! A healthy, zesty combination of chicken, black beans and corn, this is a set it and forget it easy weeknight crowd-pleaser. As you can see here, it didn’t need a whole lot to be filling.
Of course, I did get it from Pinterest (I’ve been trying to make stuff I’ve pinned, can you tell?), so I have to give some credit! So I got the recipe from a blog called Budget Bytes, and it’s so easy! Make some rice, top with avocado and cheese and maybe even some sour cream. Yum.
According to the blog, it’s also very tasty with tortillas or taco shells instead of the rice.
Want to see some more recipes I’ve pinned? Follow me on Pinterest.
Chicken Taco Bake
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts – I used a combo of breasts and thighs because I like the taste of the dark meat
- 1 16 oz jar of salsa – Walmart brand Zesty Cilantro is delicious! I’m betting that the black bean and corn or mango salsa would be really good here too.
- 1 16 oz can of black beans, drained
- 1/2 lb frozen corn
- 1 tbsp each chili powder, cumin, minced garlic
- 1 tsp each dried oregano, cayenne and salt
- (If you don’t have these spices, use a packet of taco mix instead)
- to taste, cracked pepper
- 8 oz shredded cheddar
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Avocado, chopped, for garnish (optional)
Throw everything but the cilantro, avocado and cheese in the crockpot, along with a cup of water. Mix it together, make sure the chicken is covered with the sauce. Turn on low for 8 hours. Or high for 4, low for 2 if you have a little less time.
At about hour 7.5, go ahead and make some white rice, either in a rice cooker or on the stove. When it’s ready, shred the chicken with two forks, and serve over rice, topped with cheese, avocado and cilantro.
Sit. Eat. Enjoy. 🙂