From: Thai Cooking and More.
Makes approximately 4 servings.
1.75-2 lbs fresh spinach (1-2 packages), washed and stemmed
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch wide strips
Peanut Sauce (to follow)
- Set steamer basket in large dutch oven or large skillet; add water to within 1/4 inch of bottom of basket.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat. Layer about 1/4 of spinach in basket; cover and steam 15 seconds. Quickly turn over leaves with tongs. Cover and steam 15 minutes or until leaves are bright green and barely wilted.
- Transfer spinach to colander. Repeat with remaining spinach. Lay spinach on serving platter or individual plates.
- [ALTERNATIVE] Saute spinach in skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil until wilted. Put onto platter or individual plates.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add chicken to boiling water, remove saucepan from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Prepare peanut sauce.
- Drain chicken, stir into hot peanut sauce and pour mixture over spinach.
2 tsps vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 orange bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup peanut butter, chunky or creamy
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp lime juice
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and chilies and bell pepper. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add peanut butter, brown sugar, fish sauce, paprika and red pepper, stir until smooth. Slowly stir in coconut milk until well blended. (At this point, sauce may be cooled, covered and refrigerated up to 2 days in advance)
- Stir sauce constantly over medium heat until bubbling gently. Reduce heat to medium low. Combine cornstarch and water in small cup; stir into sauce. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in lime juice.