2 Italian Sausage links, out of the casing and crumbled
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and de-veined, sliced long-ways
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and de-veined, sliced long-ways
1/2 small white onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, grated
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can roasted tomatoes
1 tbsp hot sauce (or more to taste)
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp sage
1 lb penne pasta
- Boil water with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil for the pasta. Once boiling, add a palmful of sea salt to the water and the pasta. Boil until al dente.
- While the pasta is boiling, crumble the Italian sausage into a warmed pan. Add the onion, garlic and peppers. Then add the tomato paste and 1 tbsp of tomato sauce.
- Saute those together on low to medium low heat until the sausage is browned and the peppers are soft (they’ll be sweeter to the taste).
- In a medium saucepan, add the rest of the tomato sauce, the roasted tomatoes, hot sauce, and the spices. Any stubs of garlic from the grating can be thrown into this sauce as well. Simmer on low just to heat through, stirring occasionally so the sauce doesn’t burn to the edges of the pan.
- Once the sausage is browned, the sauce heated through, and the pasta is al dente, drain the pasta and mix all the ingredients together and serve.
Serves 4-5. Cook time: approximately 30 minutes.