¼ c corn starch
1 c sugar
¼ c lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1-1/4 c water
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tbsp margarine or butter
1 9in regular pre-baked pie shell
3 egg whites
6 tbsp sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine corn starch, sugar, lemon juice; mix well.
- Beat egg yolks, add to corn starch mixture. Add water. Bring mixture to boiling over medium heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add margarine and grated lemon rind to thickened mixture and stir until thoroughly blended. Pour into baked pie shell. Prepare meringue as follows.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar. Continue to beat on high speed to form stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spread meringue over filling, carefully sealing entire edge of crust to prevent shrinking.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on cake rack away from draft for 2 hours. Refrigerate and serve cold.
Serves 8. Cook time: approximately 30 mins