1 lb of linguini or spaghetti pasta, dried
1 lb of shrimp (I used the frozen kind that needed shelling and cleaning…they need to be at least warmed up in a pan with other ingredients)
3 garlic cloves, minced or turned into paste
1/2 medium onion, minced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (give or take)
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tbsp italian seasoning
1/2 tbsp parsley
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, half drained
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced in half and pitted
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/4 cup feta cheese, plus more for garnish
5-6 basil leaves, julienned for garnish
Salt and Pepper
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Once boiling, add palmful of salt to water and drizzle of olive oil, then pasta. Cook to al dente. (This is important because it will cook further in the pan later.)
- Prep all your ingredients and clean/shell shrimp if necessary. Ingredients get added one after another, so it is important to have them all ready.
- Add approximately 2 tbsp of oil to a large pan on low heat, put in garlic and onion. Sweat them until they’re fragrant. Add in the shrimp. Cook about 2-3 minutes, until they’re just turning pink but are not done.
- Remove the onion, garlic and shrimp into a bowl. Turn the pan to a medium-low heat, and add the other tablespoon of oil to make up for what was lost with the shrimp. Add in the cayenne, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, italian seasoning, and parsley. Stir in with oil and let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add in canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, plus two pinches of salt. Simmer on medium low for about 5 minutes. At 3 minutes, taste and adjust spices to make more spicy if needed. (Make sure to add equal amounts of cinnamon and cayenne, otherwise it will be outright spicy instead of just a sneaky aftertaste spicy.)
- Add in the shrimp, garlic and onion, and the parmesan. Heat for 1 minute. Then add the feta, kalamata and tomatoes. Let simmer on low heat until pasta is done. Once pasta is drained, add directly to saucepan and toss.
- Serve with garlic bread, topped with additional feta cheese and julienned basil.