- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken stock (I used the concentrated chicken stock in some hot water.)
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli, chopped (I used about 3 stalks all chopped up)
- 1 cup carrot, shredded and chopped (easier to eat if it’s all shredded or chopped small)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (maybe closer to 1/2 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated Colby jack cheese (I used Velveeta – made it creamier)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter over medium heat. Once they are smelling tasty, add in the flour, stirring constantly. Add in the half and half, milk, and chicken stock. Bring to almost a boil.
Add in the broccoli and carrots. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally so nothing burns or curdles.
Season the soup with the nutmeg and cardamom. Stir in the cheeses (and you can play around with the amounts; use however much or little you like) and let simmer for 10 minutes longer before serving. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
Serve in a bread bowl!