Yield: 16 Breakfast Pockets
- 1 1/2 tblsp yeast
- 1/2 c warm water (110 degrees)
- 3/4 c evaporated milk (110 degrees)
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 c flour
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 c frozen hashbrown potatoes, thawed
- 7 large eggs
- 3 tblsp milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in the water.
- Add milk, oil, sugar, egg, salt, and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth.
- Add enough flour until it makes a soft dough but do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until browned. Drain. Add the hashbrowns, eggs, milk, and spices. Cook and stir until set. Sprinkle with cheese and keep warm.
Assembling the pockets:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Punch down the dough and cut into 16 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into 7 in circle on a floured surface. Top with 1/3 c filling, fold, and pinch shut. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet. Once cooled, place in the freezer until frozen. Store in a ziploc bag in the freezer for 3-6 months. To reheat, place on a paper towel and microwave for 1 1/2-2 minutes.